Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ring game vs SNG vs MTT

I don’t like playing MTTs as much as cash games and single table SNGs because of the feedback time.

In cash games, you get the instant feedback of victory or defeat for each pot you contest (showdown more or less). Thus, I like the fact that each pot I play (not just to see the flop but post flop) is like a mini-game so to speak. It’s me against one or more opponents vying for victory. Within a matter of minutes, the winner and loser(s) are decided. In addition, you get the immediate increase in money (or more often, sadly, a decrease in money). Also, I can stop or switch games/tables at any time without any real penalty (other than missing the free cards while waiting for the blinds to cycle around). The only problems I have with cash games come from my lack of patience: to wait for the big blind when I first sit down (pathetic I know), good hands, favorable position, and favorable flops.

I also like the SNGs because it feels like a more substantial win (as opposed to one pot or session where you just wait for the nuts to cream some other player) and doesn’t take as long. However, my lack of patience hurts me because I end up playing whatever fills up the quickest from razz, 5-draw, to NLO8. I also know I only have the patience for about 30-50 minutes before I want a winner to be declared. This is kind of silly because I usually just jump right in another one or have multiple SNGs/tables going at once. I also like the fact that my losses from bad plays/decisions are capped at the buy in and can’t spiral out of control unless I get pissed and keep upping the buy in till I lose a couple $100 SNGs in a row.

Obviously by now you can guess that my problem with MTTs is the amount of time before a “winner” is declared coupled with the fact that you seem to make more per hour if you hit the cash games. What? I mean that I usually lose but when I do win in the short term, my hourly rate is better at cash games or SNGs versus MTTs. I just hate spending 2-3 hours to bust out with no money or just double my buy in. The only really way I can play MTTs anymore is to have them in the background with at least a ring game or a couple SNGs to keep me occupied (watching TV doesn’t work for me).

No comments: