Sunday, May 27, 2007

I suck

Sometimes I amaze myself with my stupidity. I even try to fool myself into thinking that I was going for the win so I took a risk but that is still crap.

About 3:45 am I got bored and a little pissed about missing cashes in so many SNGs on stars plus being down money on the site. For some reason, I decided to use a HORSE MTT to recoup my losses (don't ask how that made sense with the large variance in MTTs). I signed up for a $10 +1 horse with 180 people but only paying the top 18. I thought I played well but was also hitting my draws and having most hands hold up against chasers. Anyway, I hit the final table as the uber chipleader. I give a lot back to the field but make it to 5 left still in the chip lead. I have 47K, then it goes 45K, 32K, 30K and 12K. For some reason I get into a pissing contest with the second in chips during a stud round.

I started with K6 6 so my pair isn't even buried. If you don't know stud well, mid and low pairs blow. They look good for a starting hand but really need to improve a lot to win. In the stud the average winning hand is trips 9s (or close to this). In general, I don't like to be the caller and I don't like continuing in a draw game like stud unless each street improves you (or if you are betting at least doesnt improve your opponent(s) when you start with a big pair that has show down value) and you can beat what the other guys are showing on the board.

Back to the meltdown. Small bets are 2.5K and big bets are 5K. After some early raises and reraises, its me against the 2nd in chips. I never improved on my pair but did manage to call all his bets (with a few raises on my part) and double the bastard. This left me with only 2K and change. 4 or 5 hands later, I was done.

As the Q man says, I could have coasted to a top 3 finish where the real money is to be made. Q man said top 2 but I believe I would have had to play some before we got 3 handed to stay with a decent stack. If you get too low, they just wait you out.

On the bright side, I did manage to recoup the loses and then some.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.